What We Know:
- It is estimated that roughly 15,000 children in the United States alone have MS.
- Pediatric MS patients are more susceptible to seizures, brainstem, and cerebellar symptoms than adults.
- Misdiagnosis is the largest contributor to permanent debilitation in pediatric MS.
- MS in children can affect academic performance and relationships with family members and peers.
- Educating “first line” health care providers as to the existence of pediatric MS, and its inclusion in diagnostic considerations, is the most effective way to improve pediatric MS disease outcomes and reduce the chances of permanent disability.